PURCHASE COLLEGE CATALOG 2016–18
Draft in progress
BFA in Dance: Ballet Concentration
At the end of the freshman year, the ballet faculty invites students who, in their judgment, demonstrate potential for a career in classical ballet to join the ballet concentration. Once students have been invited to join the ballet concentration, they may accept or decline. Students may also request to be considered as candidates for the ballet concentration in the spring of their freshman year.
Students in the ballet concentration take at least six ballet classes a week, in addition to pointe/variation and ballet partnering classes. They also audition for all ballet repertory and should qualify for Ballet Technique IV in their final two years. The senior project must be in ballet.
In addition to meeting general degree requirements, all students in the ballet concentration are required to:
- audition for all ballet repertory pieces presented by the Purchase Dance Company
- perform ballet repertory in major concerts
- take pointe and partnering each semester
- qualify for Ballet Technique IV in their final two years
- maintain a minimum grade of B in all ballet technique, pointe, and ballet partnering courses, and in their modern technique courses
Approval to continue in the ballet concentration may be determined at any time by the faculty, based on the student’s work ethic and improvement.
For updates during 2016–2018, please visit www.purchase.edu//Departments/AcademicPrograms/Arts/Dance/BFA/AcademicRequirements-Ballet.aspx.