Repeat (R) Grades
Update to the policy published in the 2011–13 College Catalog, approved by the Educational Policies Committee on April 10, 2012:
Matriculated students admitted in Fall 1985 or after and nonmatriculated students registered in Fall 1993 or after may repeat any previously attempted Purchase College course to earn a higher grade at Purchase College. The higher grade will be the only grade computed in the student’s cumulative grade point average (GPA), unless the previous grade was a permanent failing grade resulting from an academic integrity sanction. Please note that students cannot repeat courses that are no longer offered at Purchase College.
- A student who wishes to repeat a course must complete and submit a Repeat Course form to the Office of the Registrar during the add/drop period of the semester in which the course will be repeated. This form is available at www.purchase.edu/registrar (under “Forms”).
- A repeated course in which the student receives a grade of P, NC, W, or AU does not warrant an R grade.
- Grades of W, AU, P, or NC will not be removed from the transcript, even if the course has been repeated.
- If the credit value of the course has changed, the repeated course is worth the new credit value.
- A student may not receive a grade of R for a course that is repeated by either an independent study or a tutorial.
- The Freshman Seminar may not be repeated.
- Once the student has successfully complied with all the repeat course regulations, a notation of “(R)” will be inserted next to the original grade.