Parents   |   Community   |   Current Students   |   Faculty & Staff  
University Police

Home / University Police / Safety Tips / Sexual Assault

New York State University Police

Sexual Assault and the Law

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What constitutes sexual assault?

A: There are various forms of sexual assault as defined in the New York State Penal Law ranging from Sexual Misconduct, Rape and Forcible Touching. As a rule, any unwanted forcible or unwanted touching of a person's sexual parts, unwanted or non-consensual sexual relations (including being in a state which prevents an individual from actively resisting or saying "No"). Police interviews and investigation will determine which form of sexual assault has taken place.

Q: What do I do if I have been sexually assaulted on campus?

A: First and foremest: get to a safe place. Call University Police directly at 251-6911 or use an Emergency Blue Light phone.

Q: What are my rights during the disciplinary process?

A: The victim's rights:

Q: How can I protect myself?

A: Attend campus education / awareness programs. Additionally:

New York State University Police

New York State
University Police

Purchase College
735 Anderson Hill Rd.
Purchase, NY 10577
(914) 251-6900
Fax (914) 251-6158

(914) 251-6911

(914) 251-6900

Counseling Center
(914) 251-6390

Health Services
(914) 251-6380

Residence Life
(914) 251-6320

Rape Crisis Helpline
(914) 345-9111

Emergency Phone Map

Upcoming Events & Activities