Residence Life

For a helpful guide to room selection, click Current Residents Room Selection'16!


Definite Answers to Possible Questions

A user-friendly guide to the room selection process
and other roommate questions.


When and where can I pay my room deposit?

You may begin paying your room deposit at My heliotrope online at

What is the cost of housing for Fall 2016?

The final cost of housing will be announced in April 2016. Any housing rate that you see on your student account will only be an estimate until this time.  

My friend is STUDYING ABROAD this semester but will return in the fall. We want to live together. Is that possible?

The Office of International Student Affairs has provided Community Engagement with a list of study abroad students returning for the fall. If your friend was on that list and lived on campus IMMEDIATELY PRIOR to their abroad semester, then YES, they can go through room selection. They have to go through the same steps for room selections as you do EXCEPT they will have someone (a GROUP LEADER) go through the steps for them. (If they are flagged by Student Accounts then the person is probably not able to go through room selection. They should contact a Community Engagement Professional staff member ASAP at 914-251-6320)

We want to live in an apartment. She has 24 credits and is taking 12 credits this semester. What are our chances of getting an apartment?

You have to be either 21 years old or have 36 completed credits at the time of application (as in today) to even be eligible to apply for an apartment (except Year Round/ PREP apartments). Also, because apartments are the most sought after type of housing, if everyone in your group is in the same higher credit bracket, the better chance you have at selecting an apartment.

I cannot be here for room selection. What do I do?

You can actually complete the entire process online, so your physical presence is not required at any point in the process.

How do I get my money back if I change my mind about living on-campus?

Room deposits are refundable before May 1, 2016 for returning residents withdrawing from housing only when the Office of Community Engagement receives written notification. After the first date of class, students are only eligible for a 50% refund for the cost of housing. After the date of September 23, 2016, students are 100% liable for the total cost of housing.

Do I have to be full time to remain in campus housing?

All students must be enrolled for a full time course load by the first date of class in order to live in housing. You must be registered for at least 8 credits by the date of June 10, 2016 in order to maintain your housing assignment.

What happens if I miss all of the housing selection dates? Can I still choose my housing?

If you miss all of the housing selection dates, you will not be able to participate in room selection. Our department will assign you to a space that may still be available.

If I move from a residence hall to an apartment, can I cancel my meal plan?

Yes you can cancel your meal plan as long as you move prior to the dining plan change deadline. If you move to an apartment after this date, you will not be allowed to cancel your meal plan.

The credits indicated on the license agreement are wrong. What do I do?

That information is given to us from the Registrar’s Office. The only way to correct them is through working with the Office of the Registrar - we cannot assist with resolving that issue. Your best course of action is to correct these credits NOW, since it can impact your degree progress in the future.

I don’t have money for the room deposit right now. Can I still go through room selection?

No. All applicants are required to pay a room deposit to secure a space for the Fall 2016 semester. All students that currently live on campus and do not participate in the room selection process by paying a deposit and completing their RLA online by February 2016.

How do I qualify for the apartments?

You need to have either 36 credits completed at the conclusion of the Fall 2015 semester or be 21 years of age at time of selection.

What is Graduate/Nontraditional Housing?

This is apartment living that groups full-time graduate students and nontraditional aged undergraduates (at least 24 years of age at time of selection). You need not have a full apartment roster for these spaces, but you must pay your housing deposit and complete a individual group roster for these spaces.

Who can sign up for a Residence Hall singles?

Students can go into the incomplete group selection based on their credits and if spaces are still available students will be able to see and choose the single. We will advise that there are minimal amounts of these rooms so they are selected very quickly in the process.

What happens if I don’t have a roommate or apartment mates, but I want a room or apartment?

You will still be able to participate in room selection. Each day we will have two different selections going on, the morning will be for full group rosters and in the afternoon we will have selection for incomplete groups and  individual’s to select housing. Full groups are considered 2, 4, 6 and 8 and group configuration other than that will be considered incomplete.  

What if I lose my roommate after room sign-ups?

You will be left in your room. However, you will not be able to pull someone into that vacancy. We will assign someone new to campus or from the waiting list to that space.

How will I know if I get an apartment/suite?

When you submit your group roster, you place your group on the list. We then create the order based on the total credits of everyone on your roster. We will email only the groups that we have enough apartments /suites for. If your name does not make the list, you will be emailed to resubmit your group roster for a new housing type.


I need to live in Year Round Housing. How can that happen?

You will sign up for PREP housing. It is for those who need housing while the college residential facilities are closed. PREP is located in Alumni Village. There are two types: those who want year round which begins in May, or academic year, which begin August 29th. Both types will conclude in May of 2017. These are apartment deluxe singles at an increased rate.

Do I have to put my application in with a roommate if I want PREP housing?

No, you can apply for PREP Housing by yourself. Please know that academic year students will be housed with other academic year, and year round with year round students.


My roommate and I want to squat our apartment/ suite. What do we do?

Squatting is no longer allowed. If you want to return to the same room you are in, you will have to select the same space if still available when it is your time to select an apartment.

What happens if I don’t get what I want?

If you are not seeing the area or type of housing that you want it is because those areas or room styles are already full. What you see is all that is left to choose from. You can go back on then select a different housing complex.

I don’t have a preference for a living area. Can you just assign me anywhere?

We CAN assign you to an available space after room selection ends. Make sure you pay your deposit and fill out and submit your license agreement before the March 1 2016 deadline. After room selection is completed, all license agreements for which no room was selected will be assigned to rooms from whatever rooms are available. Please note that there is a large demand for on-campus housing and if you do not select a living area, you could potentially be assigned to a residence hall triple.

Selecting the correct contract.


When you pay your $250 deposit make sure you are selecting the correct contract. The first contract you will see is for prep housing, if you do not want prep housing please go down to continuing student. If you have made a mistake, just e-mail  us at and we can fix it for you.


Being able to join in on room selection


If you would like to take part in room selection, which is when you get a day and time slot to pick the space you want to live next year you will need to pay your deposit by March 1 2016. 


If you are picking a room as an individual and not part of a group all you need to do is pay the deposit before the selection time that corresponds to you earned credit hours, you will get a day and time slot to log in and pick an open space from the remaining rooms.


Selecting your roommates


If you are picking a room as a group, you will need to pay your deposit, and follow the instructions in the e-mail that went out about selecting roommates. You will not be able to select a roommate who has not paid the housing deposit, the name will not show up for you.


What day will you select your new room?


All room selections are based on credits. If you submit a group of 4 people and you have 95 credits, 82 credits, 74 credits, and 46 credits, you will not be able to pick a room until the 4th day of selection (3/11). EVERYONE in your group must qualify to select on that given day. The chart needed to qualify is:


Gender Neutral Housing Selection - March 2, 2016 (Click HERE For More Information)

90+ - March 7, 2016

75+ - March 8, 2016

60+ - March 10, 2016

45+ - March 11, 2016

30+ - March 14, 2016

15+ - March 15, 2016

0+ -   March 16, 2016



What is special interest housing, and how do I get in?

These are some continuing and new options available this year. These areas include students with similar interests and focused programming for the theme. They include: Cultural Immersion, Wellness, PREP, and Gender Neutral

Do all options require an application? 
No- please refer to the Specialty housing options page for more information.


The office of community engagement does not make any decision on special accommodations. All accommodations must be submitted through the office of Access and Accommodations. They are located on the third floor of the student services building Room 317A,
Office Hours:  8:30am – 5:00pm

Non Smoking spaces:

All Residence Halls are nonsmoking. As of July 1, 2007 all apartments will be nonsmoking.

Disability Rights:

Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the recently enacted Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 have greatly facilitated the expansion of services for individuals with disabilities in post secondary educational settings. In order to receive services, students must supply appropriate documentation to Access and Accommodations Office. In cases where documentation is incomplete, the student may be asked to provide additional information. Please note: The submission of documentation does not activate services or accommodations. For more information please contact the Office of Special Services at (914)-251-6390.