New Student FAQs

Here you will find frequently asked questions and answers about Community Engagement and living on campus.

Are my personal items covered by the College if they are lost, damaged or stolen?

           Please not that your personal belongings are not the responsibility of Purchase College.  If a loss occurs (due to water, fire, accidental damage or theft, for example), Purchase College is NOT responsible.  We strongly encourage purchasing personal property coverage that's available at (, to cover your items.  You can also reach their broker that handles this plan (HF&C), at 866-535-0456 or and they'd be happy to answer any questions that you have and help you enroll. 

Am I allowed to have pets?

The ONLY pets that are allowed are small fish in up to a 10-gallon tank.

What furniture is provided?

The College provides the following appliances and furniture. Please note that external furniture is not permitted due to SUNY fire safety regulations.

The Residence Halls - Each bedroom is provided with, according to the design occupancy, 1 bed and mattress twin extra-long, 1 desk with a drawer unit, 1 desk chair, 1 dresser, and 1 lamp, per person. In the Suite common area there is 1 couch or love seat, 1 common area chair, and 1 coffee table.

The Apartments - Each bedroom is provided with, according to the design occupancy, 1 bed and mattress twin extra-long, 1 desk with a drawer unit, 1 desk chair, 1 dresser, and 1 lamp, per person. Apartment living rooms are provided with 1 couch, 2 chairs, 1 coffee table, 1 dining table, and 2, 4, or 6 chairs.

What appliances can I bring?

You are allowed to bring a coffee pot with automatic shut-off, a refrigerator not to exceed five cubic feet, a hot pot, and a Micro fridge purchased through the College. Other cooking appliances are not permitted in individual rooms. In the Residence Halls cooking is permitted in the Community Kitchen, which is located in the basement of Crossroads and is available to all students living in the Residence Halls. Microwaves are permitted in the apartments, as they provide full kitchens.

How do I get my mail?

If you live on campus, you will be assigned a mailbox in the Purchase College Mail Room. The Mail Room is located in the same building as the bookstore in the center of the Mall, west of the Library.

To insure your mail reaches you in the fastest time possible, please be sure to provide senders your complete address at Purchase College. This will provide easy, and accelerated navigation through the United States Postal Service, as well as sorting and distribution by College Mail Operations staff.

Mr. John Smith
Mailbox 1000
Purchase College
735 Anderson Hill Road
Purchase, New York 10577-1402

Are there elevators?

There are no elevators in Crossroads, Farside, Big Haus, or the apartment communities. There are elevators in Outback and Fort Awesome.

What size is the mattress?

Twin, extra long.

The Office of Community Engagement has found a convenient, affordable way to ensure you have sheets that will fit the extra-long mattresses in our residence halls. The Residence Halls Linen Program has all your campus living needs, from extra long twin sheets and comforters to matching towels and storage items. Free shipping is available on all Value Pak orders, and there are over 26 color combinations to choose from. Proceeds from this program go to the Office of Community Engagement and are used for leadership opportunities and programming in the residence halls. Please visit the RHL website

Is there internet in my room?

Yes. Each resident is provided a high speed Ethernet connection. You need to provide your own cord.

Is there cable in my room?

Yes. There is an 84+ channel cable/satellite system that is available in all residence hall bedrooms and apartments. The fee for the cable system is included in housing costs.

Can I bring my car?

Yes, you can bring your car. However, in order to park on campus, you will need to obtain a parking permit, and register your vehicle with the Parking Office. For more information please visit: /bus/

Is there public transportation?

The Purchase College Association runs a Purchase Shuttle into White Plains and Port Chester. The bus is free to ride, because it is funded through the Student Services Fee. For more information about the Purchase Shuttle, including the bus schedule, please visit the transportation page: /bus/

In addition, the Westchester County Beeline #12 serves the College. For more information please visit:

Where can I find the College Policies?

All College Policies are available through the Student Handbook on the Web at: /studenthandbook/

When are quiet hours?

All residence areas have 24-hour courtesy hours. This means that noise should not be heard in public areas. Excessive noise is prohibited. Reasonable quiet must prevail in the housing facilities. Requests by any other community member to lower the noise level always needs to be met.

Quiet hours have been established to ensure students’ rights to study and sleep. Quiet hours for the residence halls are Sunday –Thursday, 11:00 pm – 8:00 am; Friday and Saturday, 1:00 am – 10:00 am. Quiet hours for the apartments are Sunday-Thursday, 12:00 AM - 8:00 AM; Friday and Saturday, 2:00 AM - 10:00 AM.

What meal plans are available?

There are several meal plan options for residents and commuter students. Specific information about the meal plan is available at:

How do I wash my clothes?

The fees for the machine usage is included in the cost of your housing. Therefore, laundry machines are free to use throughout the semester. Big Haus, Crossroads, and Farside share one laundry room in the basement of Crossroads. Fort Awesome and Outback each have their own laundry room on the first floor. The Commons and the Olde each have two centrally located laundry rooms. Alumni Village is a luxury apartment complex, and therefore provides laundry machines in each apartment unit. You will need to buy your own detergent and fabric softener.