Learning Center Testing Procedures
Exams are administered during the Fall and Spring Semesters Mondays - Fridays from 9am - 4:30pm (exams are collected by 4:30pm).
Please review the following instructions.
Accessible Tests in the Classroom or Online
Exams are sometimes designed to reduce barriers. As a result, it may sometimes be the case that the accommodations a student used for one class are not necessary for another. Examples of this type of exam are:
· Exams designed to be completed in a portion of the class time given the full class period to complete (additional time is built in for all students)
· Online exams modified to include extended time
· Take-home exams or papers
· Exams started in the classroom and completed at a second quiet location
· Exams with technology, such as a computer, available and permitted in the classroom
Students should check with their professors about the nature of their exams. Taking exams in the classroom may streamline solutions to:
· Questions during exams
· Clarification from professor on exam questions
Testing Accommodations for Students with Documented Disabilities:
The Learning Center provides testing accommodations for Purchase College students with documented disabilities. Space is limited, so all exams must be scheduled at least 1 week in advance but may be scheduled as far in advance as the start of the semester. Please refer to your course syllabus for the appropriate dates.
All exams are administered by a staff member. Please read the following instructions:
1. The student should first retrieve a testing form from his or her counselor. It would be a good idea for the student to obtain many forms to use for future exams.
2. The form should be completed and signed by the professor and returned to the Learning Center1 week before the scheduled exam. Be sure to note the following information on the form:
· Date of exam
· Exact time of exam
· How much time the student is permitted for the exam
· How the exam will be delivered
· How the exam should be returned to the professor
· Materials needed for the exam (i.e. computer or calculator)
3. The exam can be delivered by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by hand to 221 Student Services.
4. When the exam is finished, the student will return the exam to the Learning Center staff.
Please Note: Students are expected to arrive on time for their exam, which begins at the start of the scheduled appointment. Students who are late forfeit the equal amount of time. Due to limited testing space, this policy is non-negotiable.
The Learning Center does not administer exams to students who are not registered with the Office of Access and Accommodations.
Math Fluency Exam and Language Placement Exams
The Learning Center administers the Math Fluency Exam and Language Placement Exams for Spanish, French, and Italian.
The Language Placement Exam is designed to assign students to an appropriate language level course at Purchase College. All students interested in enrolling in a language course must take the corresponding placement exam, regardless of the class level for which they intend to register. Language placement exams can be accessed online via the following link:
Students who wish to enroll in a Chinese or Hebrew course should contact the designated language professor to discuss the appropriate course level.
The Math Fluency Exam can be accessed via Moodle with the following link:
Before taking the exam, students will need to Enroll in the class. This can be done by clicking on the Administration tab. Once there, students can click on “Enroll me in this course” followed by clicking “Enroll me” to be fully enrolled.
Calculators are not permitted for the math fluency exam. The results of student’s exams are displayed immediately.
Students who did not pass the Math Fluency Exam on the first attempt may re-take the exam via the same Moodle Page. If you have any questions regarding how to take the Math Fluency Exam for a second time please contact the Learning Center at (914) 251-3996.
For educational and ethical reasons, assistance with take-home exams is prohibited. If your professor has indicated that Learning Center assistance is permitted, please ask your professor to notify us about this exception.
Distance Learning Courses
Please note that the Learning Center does not administer or proctor exams for anyone who is not a Purchase College student.
Purchase College students wishing to schedule exam proctoring for a distance learning course should contact the Learning Center at least a week in advance of the exam. Due to limitations of space and proctors, availability for exam proctoring for distance learning courses is not guaranteed.
The Learning Center is committed to upholding and promoting academic integrity.
Students are likewise expected to maintain academic integrity while completing exams at the Learning Center.
Students must place belongings - including cell phones and electronic devices - in the Learning Center's lockers before the start of an exam.
Students may not receive outside help during exams. The use of cell phones, electronic devices, and internet are strictly prohibited (unless the professor provides a specific exception). Conferring with others during an exam is strictly prohibited.
If a student is suspected of having unauthorized materials or of cheating in any way:
1. Instructors will be notified right away.
2. Instructors will chose to impose any additional penalties.
FALL and SPRING HOURS:
Mon - Fri, 10am - 5pm
Student Services 213
5pm – 7pm: Library 0012A Room 1
Mon - Fri, by appointment
Student Services 213