Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
The Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is a grant available to eligible New York State (NYS)residents who attend NYS colleges and universites. Most undergraduate students receive up to eight semesters of TAP as long as they are maintaining satisfactory academic progress. Undergraduate EOP students may receive up to 10 semesters of TAP.
To be eligible for TAP, a student must:
- Be a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- Be a legal resident of New York state (for at least one year).
- Enroll in a minimum of 12 credits that are ALL applicable to the degree, declared major (and minor, specialization, or concentration, if applicable),
- Student may enroll in elective courses (that is, courses that do not count toward degree requirements noted in above item), but they must be IN ADDITION TO the 12 credits applicable to the degree.
- If a student retakes a course for a higher grade, it will only count toward the 12 credit minimum requirement if the student retakes it because the first time the minimum grade for course for the major was not met
- Study full time (at least 12 credits per semester) at an approved postsecondary institution in New York state.
- Have graduated from high school, or have a GED, or have passed a federally approved exam demonstrating that the student can benefit from the education offered.
- Be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing.
- Have at least a cumulative "C" average after receipt of two annual payments.
- Be charged at least $200 tuition per year.
- Not be in default on a student loan guaranteed by HESC and not be in default on any repayment of state awards.
- Meet income limitations.
In order to be considered for TAP, you must first complete the FAFSA. Be advised that you must complete your FAFSA within the specified deadline located in this link: dates and deadlines.
Students wishing to utilize TAP for Summer, Fall and Spring semesters in a single award year will need to have earned 24 semester hour credits in the prior 2 terms before the summer in order to qualify for a summer portion of their TAP award.
Visit the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) website to apply for TAP or to monitor the status of your TAP application.