Are You Eligiable To File Special Circumstances?
The federal government limits what criteria can be reviewed as special circumstances. As a result, Purchase College will not consider or make adjustments for any of the following:
- Parents will not help pay for college
- Car payments or car insurance
- Consumer debt (credit cards)
- Mortgages and rent
- Tuition paid for private elementary or secondary tuition
- Unusual expenses related to personal living (such as wedding expenses, loan payments, or legal expenses)
- Medical insurance premiums
- One year bonus incomes (such as lottery winnings or gambling winnings)
- Reduction in overtime pay
- Chapter 7 bankruptcy or reductions in income from bankruptcy proceedings
- Home equity, IRA, 403B, and 401K loans
If your reason for special circumstances is not listed above, please complete the special circumstances form here: 2014-2015 Special Circumstances Form.
PLEASE NOTE: For special circumstances, our office cannot accept financial information for the 2013 tax year that has been transferred into the 2014-15 FAFSA via the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, as it does not contain all the information necessary to review the appeal.
You must request a 2013 Tax Return Transcript from the IRS, which is free of charge, by doing one of the following:
- Obtain your 2013 Tax Return Transcript online at: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript
- By Phone: 1-800-829-1040