Spring 2013 Construction Project Updates
Welcome to the Capital Facilities Planning construction project update page. This page is intended to let you what projects are under construction around the college campus and let you know how that may impact our students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
The page is typically updated every two weeks and will follow the current college semester. Projects are listed alphabetically and give a short synopsis of what construction work is scheduled and what the campus can expect as far as disruptions and/or inconveniences. There are also links under each project to the projects site page for those looking for additional information.
Week of April 29th through Week of May 6th
- Contractor is completing final punch list items on the project, with the majority of the work complete.
- The new lower level entrance and patio area has been reopened now that the new canopy and stainless steel handrails have been installed.
- Site work is also wrapping up. The contractor is finishing their installation of perimeter lighting and a few other items.
- The lower Quad area will open soon. The existing metal fencing is being left in place to allow the newly planted grass seeds to germinate. Since the temperature is now warmer, the contractor has been aerating, re-seeding, and watering the lawn. This should only be for another two weeks.
- A new built-in bench along the concrete retaining wall at the plaza level and new site furniture is expected to be installed by the middle of May.
- CFP is continuing to work closely with Residence Life to limit disruptions to the students living in the dorms.
- Abatement on the interior stairwells in Farside was completed over Winter Break.
- Contractor has finished interior work on the south cantilever apartment of Big Haus and is working on the south cantilever apartment in Farside.
- Contractor will continue to finish their work on the lower terraced roofs on the east side of Big Haus and the north side of Crossroads, as well as the lounge roofs at both buildings.
- Any loud or disruptive work will not be permitted until later hours (typically after 9AM).
- Demolition and abatement work continues on the interior of the Humanities building and is scheduled to be completed within the next two months.
- The pedestrian walkway between the Humanities building and the Student Center is temporarily closed due to construction. An alternate path has been installed south of the Student Center (next to the bus stop) allowing for access to the bus stop and the Campus Center South parking lot.
- The project is tentatively scheduled to be completed in the Fall of 2014.
- Construction work continues on the HVAC upgrade project, which is scheduled to be completed at the end of May 2013.
- The 1st floor is complete and open with the exception of the south doors.
- The museum is temporarily working out of spaces in the Library.
- The new skylights have arrived and the contractor is finalizing commissioning of the new HVAC system.
- The work includes removal of old mechanical equipment in the penthouse, ground floor, and basement areas.
- Contractor is completing the remaining items on the punch list.
- Labs are open and being used.
- Contractor is finalizing the project close-out documents.
- Phase 4 is complete. The main plaza areas are open for use.
- Contractor has replaced the stained pavers on the plaza and is addressing any remaining items on the construction punch list.
- Additional benches were recently added to Phase 3 & 4 to provide more seating options.
- Contractor continues work on Phase 1. Due to the potential impact to the Campus, this phase will have three sub-phases.
- The pathway between the Social and Natural Science buildings has been completed.
- The contractor also finished the majority of work on the stairs leading from the plaza down to Lincoln Avenue, replacing the plaza area at the entrance to the Visual Arts building, and area across from Terra Ve.
- The contractor is currently working on some of the surrounding areas (near the front of the Dorms, & walkway leading down to the Campus Center South parking lot), with final blacktop being installed in the Spring of 2013.
- Work between the Natural Science and Dance Bldg. is completed.
- The pathway between the Visual Arts building and the Museum has been completed.
- Phase 2 work; which includes the pathways between Dance and Music, the north and south entrances to the Dance building, and the main entrance into the Natural Science Bldg. This will address the accessibility issues at the front of the Nat. Sci. Bldg.
- Phase 2 work has begun in front of the Music building is ongoing and work in front of the Natural Science building is scheduled to begin this May.
- UPD has moved into their new spaces.
- Contractor has completed the majority of new roofing on the south wing and northwest section of the building.
- Five new classrooms on the 2nd floor are scheduled to begin construction this Summer.
- Mass Gallery is open.
- The contractor will continue to replace the glass curtain walls in the corridors areas this semester as well as some exterior doors and windows that do not impact the studio spaces.
- The remaining work that will impact studios and classrooms will be done this Summer, with project completion scheduled for August 2013.