Related information: Biochemistry
The Chemistry BA Program: Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of their respective programs, chemistry and biochemistry majors can:
- critically analyze data and ideas—graduates will be able to thoughtfully critique information from professional journals and the lay literature.
- write and speak clearly on chemical and biochemical topics—graduates will be able to show their mastery of the material and explain chemistry and biochemistry to others through their writing and speaking skills.
- understand and apply core concepts in chemistry and biochemistry to an extent that will allow them to be competitive after Purchase—(bio)chemistry is hierarchical, and in order to progress one must demonstrate competence at the previous level.
- demonstrate technical laboratory skills—graduate programs and employers want people who are well trained in the fundamentals, so that they can add new skills efficiently.
- reason quantitatively—performing and understanding calculations is an integral part of chemistry and biochemistry.