BFA in Visual Arts: Interdisciplinary
Student Learning Outcomes
- Understand basic design principles, concepts, media, and formats in the various fine arts disciplines. Development of this sensitivity continues throughout the degree program.
- Have the ability to apply principles of design and color and competency in drawing to work in specific specializations.
- Have the ability to conceive, design, and create works in at least two specific fine arts fields.
- Have a working knowledge of various aesthetic issues, processes, and media and their relationship to the conceptualization, development, and completion of works of art.
- Understand the similarities, differences, and relationships among the various fine arts areas.
- Participate in experiences that encourage familiarity with a broad variety of work in various specializations and media, including broad exposure to works of art.
- Have the opportunity to develop an area of emphasis in two fine arts areas.
Evaluation of Learning Outcomes
- Students must demonstrate achievement of professional, entry-level competence in a combination of the two areas of specialization, including significant technical mastery, capability to produce work and solve professional problems independently, and a coherent set of artistic/intellectual goals that are evident in their work.
- Students must demonstrate their competence by developing a body of work for evaluation. A senior project or final presentation in the major area is required.
- Students must have the ability to form and defend value judgments about art and design and to communicate art/design ideas, concepts, and requirements to professionals and laypersons related to the practice of the major field. They are able to work collaboratively as appropriate to the areas of specialization.
Also refer to the Foundation Program: Student Learning Outcomes.
Please direct updates for this page to the managing editor in the Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs. Because internal and external links may change or expire from time to time, please report any changed or broken links to the managing editor as well.