Fall 2012 MFA Audition Information
MFA Auditions will only be conducted for students who are invited to attend. If you are invited to audition, the Conservatory of Dance will contact you.
For MFA Choreography Track application instructions, please click here.
For MFA Performance/Teaching Track application instructions, please click here.
All Auditions will take place on the Purchase College Campus.
Friday 2/24/2012 (application deadline 2/3/2012)
Saturday 3/3/2012 (application deadline 2/10/2012)
The Admission audition consists of a ballet class, modern combinations in the center and across the floor, a performance piece and an essay. You also might be asked to improvise.
The faculty will interview all MFA applicants following the audition. The schedule is adhered to as much as possible, however, the number of people in any given audition, the weather or other extenuating circumstances may cause changes. Please plan to spend a full day at Purchase College.
Audition Day Schedule
|2:00 - 2:30 p.m.
|3:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- Advanced knowledge of modern and/or classical ballet techniques as demonstrated in the audition.
- Talent and potential as a Performer/ Teacher or Choreographer.
Please plan to arrive on-campus by 9:00 a.m. After changing into practice clothes, applicants register for the audition.
- Complete the audition form
- Submit the non-refundable Conservatory of Dance $50.00 audition fee (check or money order payable to Purchase College. No cash.) Please note that all returned checks will forfeit consideration
- Submit photograph - full body shot in leotard and tights, print name on back of photo
- Receive audition #
Following class each dancer will present a solo in classical ballet, contemporary ballet or modern dance. Please note the following:
- Time Limit:
Please note: if you run over the time limit, the faculty will ask you to stop.
- Performance/Teaching Track: Choreography may be by you or someone other than yourself.
- Choreography Track: Performance must be your own choreography.
- Music: CD or iPod. If your CD is burned, please make sure it plays correctly before the audition day. Bring a back-up CD with you. Print your name clearly on label.
Floor: The audition studio has a marley floor. Rosin will be available if needed.
- Attire: Costumes are not permitted. You may change from class attire to other leotard/tights or unitard for your solo if you desire.
After the Audition
You will remain to write an essay and to interview with the Director of the MFA Program and selected faculty. We invite you to attend the BFA Dance Senior Project Performances at 8:00pm in the Dance Theatre Lab. Please reserve your complimentary tickets when you register in the morning.
Class Audition by DVD
All candidates residing in the continental United States must audition in person and on campus.
ONLY candidates living outside the continental United States may send a Class Audition DVD
rather than audition in person
(this includes other countries and Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico). This Class Audition DVD
is in addition
to the Application DVD required as part of the application for admission.
The Class Audition DVD should include:
- 2-3 Minute Interview: Speak to the camera in English and tell us about yourself. State your name, dance training, and discuss Choreographic or Performance/Teaching expectations. Explain the content of your application and, if you are performing, how we identify you. Please comment about why you want to attend Purchase College, and what you hope to do after earning your degree.
- Ballet Class: Present barre work, center work (adagio, allegro and pirouette combinations) and across the floor combinations. You do not need to repeat exercise on two sides.
- Modern Class: Present warm up exercises, center work including back work, and across the floor combinations.
- Solo: Present a solo in classical ballet, contemporray ballet or modern dance, as noted above. Introduce the solo with title, composer, choreographer and any additional information you want us to know.
- Submit class audition DVD with completed MFA application packet, photograph, and the $50.00 non-refundable review fee and the $50.00 non-refundable audition fee payable to Purchase College. Please note that all returned checks will forfeit consideration.
You may also post your performing and/or work samples and class audition at www.youtube.com. Please follow the exact same guidelines as the DVD submission.
Applicants will be notified of admission status within three weeks of the audition if the following documents have been submitted and are complete: Conservatory of Dance MFA application with review and audition fee, SUNY Graduate Program application for admission, and the SUNY application fee.
Admission to the Conservatory of Dance serves as your admission to Purchase College.
For Additional Information, please contact:
Conservatory of Dance
Telephone: (914) 251-6800
Fax: (914) 251- 6806
Conservatory of Dance
Purchase College, State University of New York
735 Anderson Hill Road
Purchase, NY 10577-1400