Fall 2014 BFA Auditions
The admission audition consists of a ballet class and modern combinations in the center and across the floor. You might also be asked to improvise. Following class, the audition panel will call back the dancers who will present their solos in the afternoon. The faculty will conduct a short interview following the audition. The schedule is adhered to as much as possible; however, the number of people in any given audition, the weather, or other extenuating circumstances may cause changes. If auditioning on-campus, please plan to spend a full day at Purchase College. Please refer to stated registration times for off-campus auditions.
It is imperative that you schedule an audition online using your myPurchase account. You will not be able to schedule an audition unless you apply to Purchase College. The Conservatory of Dance will confirm your audition date by email within a week of your online request.
PLEASE SUBMIT AT YOUR SCHEDULED AUDITION (DO NOT SEND THIS MATERIAL AHEAD OF TIME):
- Dance résumé
- One (1) sealed letter of artistic recommendation
- Dance photo (8 x 10 size, full body shot, women: in leotard and tights, men: in fitted shirt and tights)
- A 200-350 word paragraph answering the following question: "Why do you think the Conservatory of Dance at Purchase College is a good fit for you?"
Chicago Academy for the Arts
Contact: Lauri Sugarman
1010 West Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60622
Date and Time of Audition:
Sat, January 31, 2015, 12:00–4:00 pm / Registration: 11:00 am
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles County High School for the Arts (LACHSA)
5151 University Drive
Library North - Room 1034
Los Angeles, CA 90032-8659
Date and Time of Audition:
Sunday, February 1, 2015, 11:30am–7:30 pm / Registration: 11:30 am
- Prior training and the ability to demonstrate an advanced knowledge of classical modern and/or ballet techniques.
- Talent and potential as a performer.
- Good physical proportions in a healthy body that is injury-free.
- Women: black leotard, with white, tan or pink tights, ballet shoes, hair neatly secured (no pony tails), no jewelry.
- Men: white T-shirt, dance belt, black tights with white socks or black tights with feet and black or white shoes.
- Note: Since ballet shoes are required for ballet class and modern work is bare-foot, tights should be easily adjustable (stirrup tights or tights with foot seam split).
Please plan to arrive at 9:00 am for on-campus auditions. After changing into practice clothes, applicants register for the audition with the representatives from the Conservatory of Dance.
- Complete the audition form.
- Submit your letter of recommendation, photo, dance résumé and essay.
- Receive audition #.
After class, a list will be posted for a select group of students who will be invited to present a 90-second solo performance in a modern or ballet style that highlights your strengths as an artist and performer. If you are not called back to present a solo, you are free to depart.
Your music should be on a CD (with your name clearly printed on the label) or on an iPod/phone.
Choreography may be by you or another person.
If your dance exceeds 90 seconds, you will be asked to stop. We are primarily interested in your performance and movement ability.
Be prepared to introduce your dance: title, choreographer, composer and any additional information you wish us to know.
The audition studio has a marley floor.
No costumes are permitted. However, you are welcome to change from class attire to other leotard/tights or unitard for your solo.
After the Audition
If space and time permit, we will have a discussion period to answer your questions. You are free to depart unless you have been requested to stay for an interview. If you audition on-campus, you are welcome to attend the BFA Dance Senior Project Performance at 8:00 pm in the Dance Theatre Lab. Please reserve your complimentary tickets when you register in the morning.
Applicants auditioning on February 6 & 13, 2015 will be notified of their admission status within 3 weeks of the February 13, 2015, audition if their application is complete.
Applicants auditioning on February 21 & 28, 2015 will be notified of their admission status within 3 weeks of the February 28, 2015, audition if their application is complete.
Class Audition by DVD
Deadline to submit a Class Audition by DVD is February 28, 2015 (received in the office by February 28). Only candidates living outside the continental United States may send a class audition DVD rather than audition in person. This includes Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico.
The Class Audition DVD should include:
• Introduction: State your name, dance training, and information about your solo: title, composer, choreographer and any additional information you want us to know.
• Ballet Class: Present barre work, center work (adagio, allegro and pirouette combinations) and across the floor combinations. You do not need to repeat exercises on both sides.
• Modern Class: Present warm up exercises, center work including backwork, and across the floor combinations.
• Solo: 90 seconds maximum.
Submit the Class Audition DVD and the non-refundable $60 audition fee in US funds in check or money order payable to Purchase College at the following address:
Conservatory of Dance
735 Anderson Hill Road
Purchase, NY 10577-1400
You may also post your Class Audition at www.Youtube.com. Please follow the exact same guidelines as the DVD submission. Include the link(s) in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name in the subject line. Mail the non-refundable $60 audition fee to the address above. Your audition class will not be reviewed until the audition fee has been received.
REMINDER: The audition fee is separate and in addition to the SUNY application fee of $50.00. Both fees are required and must be paid separately.
Incoming students’ scholarship
The Conservatory of Dance awards merit-based scholarships based on student auditions. There is no other formal scholarship application for dance. For financial need-based scholarships, contact Student Financial Services. Financial aid requires the FAFSA be completed for any student to be considered for scholarship
Scholarships are reconsidered every year and returning students need to formally apply in the spring semester. A GPA of 3.25 is required for returning students to remain on scholarship.
Student Dance Ambassadors
Are you a prospective student who is curious about the Conservatory of Dance from a student’s perspective? Our Dance Ambassadors are happy to answer your questions. Ambassadors are selected from students in their final years of study at Purchase College. They can speak to their experience as members of the Conservatory of Dance and greater Purchase College community. Email a student Dance Ambassador today.