BFA in Dance: Ballet Concentration
At the end of the freshman year, the ballet faculty invites students who, in the judgment of the faculty members, demonstrate potential for a career in classical ballet to join the ballet concentration. Students may accept or decline this invitation. Students may also request to be considered as candidates for the ballet concentration in the spring of their freshman year.
In addition to meeting general degree requirements, all students in the ballet concentration are required to:
- audition for all ballet repertory pieces presented by the Purchase Dance Company;
- perform ballet repertory in major concerts
- take pointe/variation and ballet partnering each semester
- qualify for the 3000-level or 4000-level ballet technique course in the final two years
- maintain a minimum grade of B in ballet technique, pointe/variation, and ballet partnering courses.
Approval to continue in the ballet concentration may be determined at any time by the faculty, based on the student’s work ethic and improvement.
Freshman Year (provisional)
Students take all scheduled ballet classes, as well as Friday’s pointe and Tuesday’s ballet partnering classes, and audition for all ballet repertory.
Sophomore Year (provisional)
Students in the ballet concentration take:
- weekly ballet classes as assigned, including two special two-hour classes designed to strengthen pointe work, variation, and/or men’s technique
- weekly modern class as assigned
- pointe and ballet partnering
They also audition for all ballet repertory. After one semester or at the end of sophomore year, students in the ballet concentration may choose to return to the performance concentration. If students are approved and elect to remain in the ballet concentration, they will remain so through to graduation.
Students must qualify for level III ballet technique; take weekly ballet and modern classes as assigned, including two special two-hour classes, pointe, and ballet partnering; and audition for all ballet repertory.
Same as the junior year. Senior project repertory must be ballet.